- "I like lists for the same reason other people like football or pedophilia." Umberto Eco on lists.
- 10 best books for girls and young women. A damn solid list, I must say. I've loved From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler since I was about eight.
- "I've read enough comment threads over the years to know that conservatives regularly make a point of proudly declaring that their female icons are good looking compared to the old hags on the other side. When did they suddenly adopt politically correct second-wave feminist attitudes toward female beauty, even in the public sphere?" Virgina Postrel on Sarah Palin in the media.
- Road to perdition: a great essay on the film noir Detour.
- The best 15 color films noir.
- Yes, Polanski made Chinatown. He also made this.
- "Is Murnau's Nosferatu scary in the modern sense? Not for me. I admire it more for its artistry and ideas, its atmosphere and images, than for its ability to manipulate my emotions like a skillful modern horror film." Roger Ebert on Nosferatu.
- My favorite sport: ripping apart the Oscar nominations and expounding upon how idiotic the Academy is. And with the documentary nominations announcement, the season is officially open. Although - it's actually a decent list. Don't worry, though - I'm sure they'll screw up the feature and director noms.